Friday, July 27, 2018
Greek Chicken, Egg & Lemon Soup
1 Celery stalk, diced
1/4 Yellow Onion, diced
1 large, uncooked Chicken Breast, cubed
3 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups cooked Rice or cooked Orzo
Optional: Parsley, chopped
Salt to taste
1. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onions and celery until soft and the onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, stirring often.
3. Add the rice, and enough broth to generously cover the chicken, rice, and veggies. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then taste for salt.
4. While the soup is simmering, aggressively beat the eggs. Slowly add the juice of the lemon to the eggs, whisking constantly.
5. Temper the lemon-egg mixture with the broth:
With one hand vigorously whisk the egg mixture. With the other hand, very slowly ladle broth into the eggs. This will keep your eggs from cooking too quickly and turning into scrambled eggs. Do this with 2 – 3 ladles of broth.
6. Remove the soup from heat. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the soup. Serve immediately, garnish with parsley.