Monday, July 23, 2018
Fudge Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves: 20 large cookies
2 cups semi sweet choc chips
1 14-oz/400ml can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. It is best if you can prepare the fudge 4 hours to a day in advance.
2. Line an 8 x 8” baking dish with foil and lightly grease with butter. Set aside.
3. Combine chocolate chips and condensed milk in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
4. Stir frequently until chocolate chips are completely melted, then pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
5. Allow setting for at least 4 hours. Cut fudge into 1" square pieces (you'll have some extra -- it tastes great on its own!) and place in freezer while you prepare your cookie dough.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric hand-mixer, combine butter and sugars. Beat on medium speed until well-combined.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
3. Stir in vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and baking soda.
5. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture until completely combined.
6. Stir in chocolate chips and place cookie dough in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375ºF and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.
8. Once the cookie dough is finished chilling, remove dough from the refrigerator and your fudge from the freezer.
9. Use a 1-1/2 Tbsp-sized cookie scoop and scoop a heaping portion of cookie dough.
10. Make a crater in the center of the dough with your thumb and gently press a square of fudge firmly in the center.
11. Roll the dough into a ball around the center, taking care to ensure that no cracks remain and no filling is visible (add more dough, if needed).
12. Place stuffed cookie dough balls in freezer and chill for another 15 minutes.
13. Place cookie dough at least 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined sheet, and bake on 375ºF for 12-14 minutes, or until edges are just beginning to turn golden brown.
14. Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before removing (they'll be quite fragile when warm, but will become more sturdy as they cool).