Saturday, April 21, 2018
From: ricardocuisine.com "Holiday Starters and Sides"
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes 10 cups (2.5 L)
Nutrition (per 1/4 cup serving):
calories 60, total fat 0 g (saturated fat 0 g), sodium 150 mg, Carbohydrates 14 g, Fiber 1 g, protein 1 g
5 lbs (2.27 kg) whole beets
2 tablespoons (30 ml) gelatin
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
2 cups (500 ml) vinegar
2 cups (500 ml) sugar
2 teaspoons (10 ml) salt
1. In a large pot of water, cook the beets for about 1 hour or until they are tender.
2. Cool them under running water and drain them.
3. Peel and finely grate the beets. You will need 7 cups (1.75 L) of grated beets.
4. In a bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water. Let the gelatin bloom for 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. In the same saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
6. Add the beets and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the gelatin mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
7. Spoon the beet mixture into jars.
8. The candied beets will keep for about 3 weeks in the refrigerator or can be frozen or offered as a gift.