Yield: 4 Servings
1 lb Lean beef
3 Celery stalks
1 Round onion
1 Scallion stalk
1 -(up to)
2 sl Fresh ginger root
1 tb Cornstarch
1 Egg white
Oil for deep-frying
2 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Sherry
1/2 ts Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Cornstarch
2 tb Water
2 tb Oil
1. Cut beef against the grain in thin slices, then sliver. Shred celery and onion. Cut scallion in 1/2-inch sections. Mince ginger root.
2. Mix cornstarch and egg white to make a batter. Add beef slivers and toss gently to coat. Meanwhile, heat oil.
3. In one cup, combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar and salt. In another, blend remaining cornstarch and cold water to a paste.
4. Place beef slivers in a wire basket. Immerse in oil until meat begins to turn golden (less than a minute). Drain on paper toweling.
5. Heat remaining oil. Add celery, onion, scallion and ginger root.
Stir-fry until slightly softened (about 1 minute).
6. Stir in beef, then add soy-sherry mixture. Stir-fry only to heat
7. Stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
VARIATION: In step 3, for the soy-sherry mixture, substitute 2 tablespoons oyster sauce.