Everyone knows how delicious Clams Casino can be, but have you had them
on the grill? Oh, baby. You can always make the casino butter in advance— all
you do is cook the bacon and then the rest is absolutely simple. Wait until you
2 strips thickly sliced applewoodsmoked bacon
4 ounces andouille sausage
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup fi nely diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
24 littleneck clams, scrubbed
1. Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium- low heat. Add the bacon and cook, turning the slices occasionally, until just crisp, about 20 minutes. Let cool, and then cut into a total of twenty- four 3⁄4- inch pieces. Set the bacon pieces aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
2. Place the andouille sausage in a food pro cessor and pulse until fi nely chopped. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon drippings to the same saute pan, and add the pro cessed andouille. Cook until the sausage has rendered its fat and browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer the sausage to paper towels to drain.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon bacon drippings to the pan and increase the heat to medium- high. Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set them aside to cool.
4. In a clean food pro cessor bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, butter, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, andouille sausage, and the cooled onions and bell pepper. Pulse until well combined. Transfer the butter mixture to a piece of parchment or waxed paper, and roll the paper around it to form a tight cylinder. Chill in the refrigerator until fi rm, at least 2 hours prior to cooking and up to 2 days in advance.
5. Preheat a grill to medium- high.
6. Place the clams on the grill and cook until the shells pop open, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the clams from the grill, and when they are cool enough to handle, remove the top shells. Divide the butter mixture evenly among the clams. Top each clam with one piece of the bacon. Return the clams to the grill and cook until the butter has melted and the liquid is bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
About 4 servings