Time 15 minutes
Yield 10 pancakes
Featured in: A Time For Books And Baking.
½ cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs, separated
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
¼ cup peanut, vegetable or corn oil
1. Combine the cornmeal, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
2. Pour boiling water over, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook, stirring, about two minutes and let cool. Add the egg yolks.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder and stir it into the batter. Add the milk and oil.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them in.
5. Lightly oil a griddle. Ladle about a third of a cup of the batter for each pancake. Cook until browned on one side. Turn and cook on the other side. Continue until all the batter is used.
6. Serve with syrup, preserves, jams or jellies.
Adapted From Kathleen Claiborne’s Recipe
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
130 calories; 3 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 39 milligrams cholesterol; 252 milligrams sodium