Saturday, March 11, 2017
Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Time 1 hour
Yield Serves 12
Featured in: The Billionaire Who Is Planning His 125th Birthday.
6 ounces [168 g] walnut pieces
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
2. Spread walnuts on baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, beat egg whites in mixer using whisk attachment until soft peaks form, 5-8 minutes.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk sugar, cocoa, walnuts and salt together. Gently fold in egg whites and vanilla. Do not overbeat.
5. Spoon batter on parchment-lined cookie sheets to make 12 large cookies, six on each sheet. They do spread and may touch each other but come easily apart.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, switch trays (top and bottom) and turn them and bake for 10 more minutes or until tops are glossy and slightly cracked. Remove from oven and slide parchment off baking sheet to cooling rack.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories per serving: 210. Calorie equivalent: 1 carbohydrate, 2 fats.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
227 calories; 9 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 34 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 29 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 68 milligrams sodium