Sunday, March 12, 2017
Time 6 minutes
Yield Serves 8
Featured in: Chocolate Rum Mousse.
¼ cup cold whole milk
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
¾ cup milk, heated to boiling
6 tablespoons dark rum
1 large egg
¼ cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 6-ounce package (1 cup) semisweet chocolate pieces
2 cups heavy cream
2 ice cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Put the cold milk and gelatin in blender. Cover and blend at low speed to soften the gelatin.
2. Add boiling milk; blend until the gelatin dissolves. If gelatin granules cling to the container, use a rubber spatula to push them down.
3. When the gelatin is dissolved, add the rum, egg, sugar and salt. Blend at high speed and add chocolate pieces until smooth.
4. Add 1 cup of the cream and the ice cubes. Continue blending until the ice is liquefied. Pour into parfait or wine glasses and chill.
5. Add vanilla to the other cup of cream and whip until stiff. Top the mousse with whipped cream.
This recipe appeared in an article by Jean Hewitt in The Times.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
387 calories; 29 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 21 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 107 milligrams cholesterol; 85 milligrams sodium