Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
This recipe serves: 6
2 pounds pumpkin squash
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced or diced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
6 to 8 cups chicken stock or water, as needed
1/2 cup cooked rice, optional
1 cup 2% milk
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. To bake the squash preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick each squash
with the point of a knife so it won't explode when it bakes. Bake for
about an hour, until the squash feels somewhat soft to the touch and a
knife penetrates the skin easily.
2. Let the squash cool until you can handle them without pain. Then cut
them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and
3. Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over moderate heat.
4. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 10
minutes. Add the spices and cook a few minutes longer.
5. Add the reserved squash and stock or water, bring to a boil and
simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Puree the soup. Add the milk and season to taste with salt and
7. Put soup back in the pot and add the rice and warm through. Add stock
or water as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Number of Servings: 6
Per ServingCalories236 Carbohydrate32 gFat8 gFiber3 gProtein11
gSaturated Fat2 gSodium294 mg