Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Baked Chipotle Chicken Taquitos
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 5 MINUTES
Serving Size: 38-48 Taquitos, depending on how big you make them
Healthy chicken taquitos! Full of flavor and extra crispy.
6 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup Greek yogurt (0% fat is fine)
2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper adobo sauce
Salt + Pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, grilled and shredded
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup monterrey jack cheese or pepper jack, shredded
38-48 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
Guacamole, for serving (optional)
Greek Yogurt, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a small skillet saute the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Take off heat and set aside.
3. Mix together the cream cheese, greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chili powder, cumin, onion, and garlic until combined (a mixer makes this easier but can be done by hand).
4. Fold in the chicken and shredded cheese until well coated.
5. Work with 3 tortillas at a time, microwaving for 15-20 seconds on a plate before filling and rolling.
6. Spoon 2-3 Tbsp of filling into a line across the lower 1/3 each tortilla.
7. Working quickly roll each tortilla up tightly and place seam-side down on the pan. Do not over fill the tortillas or they will rip.
8. Either brush the taquitos with olive oil or spray with a misto can.
9. Bake 15-20 minutes, until crispy.
10. Serve with ranch dressing, guacamole, and sour cream if desired.
*If you use corn tortillas work fast after they come out of the microwave and do not roll too tightly or over stuff. The corn tortillas rip really easily. If yours are ripping then they are probably not warm enough, just pop them back in the microwave for 15 more seconds.
*To freeze: Place the prepared taquitos on a pan lined with wax paper. Place into the freezer and freeze solid, ~2 hours, and then transfer to a large ziptop bag. Bake frozen for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.