Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Asian Chicken, Shrimp & Kale Egg Rolls
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 egg rolls
Serving Size: 1 - 2 egg rolls
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
15 - 20 drops of sesame oil
2 - 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped fine
2 big stalks of kale, chopped fine (about 2 cups packed of kale leaves)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
1 can bean sprouts, drained
1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
4 teaspoons soy sauce
a pinch of Chinese 5-spice seasoning
1/4 cup frozen shrimp, chopped (or more, if you have it)
1 teaspoon natural peanut butter
About 6 - 8 eggroll wrappers
1. In a small bowl, mix the vegetable and sesame oil with the garlic and set aside while you prepare the other vegies.
2. Remove the stems of the kale and chop the leaves into bits. Chop the onion fine as well. In a bowl, mix the kale leaves with the onion and the oil/garlic mixture. Toss with your fingers to cover all the kale lightly with oil.
3. Heat a wok (or frying pan) over medium to medium high heat. Add the kale, onions and oil mixture and stir-fry, stirring constantly, until the kale is wilted and soft. Add the water chestnuts, bean sprouts, chicken, ginger root, soy sauce and five spice seasoning and continue stir frying for a few minutes or until the mixture is hot. Add the shrimp and peanut butter and cook just until the shrimp is warm and pink.
4. Using about 1/3 cup of the filling per egg roll, scoop the filling onto the wrapper and roll up, egg roll style (see my Southwestern Egg Rolls post for photos/instructions on rolling).
5. Now, you can fry the egg rolls or bake them. Baking is easier and healthier: simply spray the egg rolls with cooking spray, set them on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 15 minutes or until brown and crispy. (Check them about halfway through and turn if needed.)
For the dipping sauce, I mixed some Asian Sweet Chili Sauce with a little Chinese Hot Mustard.