Friday, September 16, 2016
Gorgonzola Walnut Crostini With Pear Salad
Time 30 minutes
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Featured in: The First Pear Salad Of Fall
For the vinaigrette
1 small shallot, finely diced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon walnut oil or olive oil
For the crostini
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
½ teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
6 slices rustic whole-grain bread or ciabatta, 3/4-inch thick
3 to 4 ounces Gorgonzola dolce
20 to 24 walnut halves
For the pear salad
8 ounces mixed bitter greens, like radicchio, curly endive and escarole
½ cup finely chopped pale interior celery stalks and leaves
2 or 3 ripe pears
For the vinaigrette
1. Make the vinaigrette: Put the shallot in a small bowl with the vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Let macerate for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the mustard, then whisk in the oils. Taste and adjust seasoning.
2. Make the crostini: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and brown, turning frequently. When it begins to soften, season generously with salt and pepper; reduce heat to medium. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until nicely caramelized. Add the rosemary and transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
3. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the bread in the toaster until lightly browned, then lay the slices on a baking sheet. Spread about 1/2 ounce Gorgonzola on each toast, then top with the onion mixture and 3 or 4 walnut halves.
4. Bake on the top shelf of the oven until bubbling and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Cut into wedges if desired.
5. Assemble the salad: Put the greens and chopped celery in a low wide salad bowl. Just before serving, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss with half the vinaigrette, just coating the leaves. Peel, core and slice the pears. Dress the slices with the rest of the vinaigrette in a separate bowl, spoon the pears over the salad, and serve with the warm crostini on the side.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
574 calories; 40 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 13 grams polyunsaturated fat; 42 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 15 grams sugars; 16 grams protein; 18 milligrams cholesterol; 585 milligrams sodium