Wednesday, September 14, 2016
French Chicken Liver and Green Bean Salad With Garam Masala
Time 30 minutes
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Featured in: Spicy Chicken Liver Salad? How Un French Of You.
For the vinaigrette
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, smashed to a paste with a little salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
½ pound small green beans, topped and tailed
12 chicken livers, trimmed, about 1 pound
2 teaspoons garam masala (see Note)
2 tablespoons clarified butter, ghee or olive oil
18 cherry tomatoes, halved, optional
6 small handfuls salad greens (about 5 or 6 ounces)
For the vinaigrette
1. For the vinaigrette: Mix the vinegar, mustard and garlic in a small bowl. Add a little salt and pepper, and whisk in the oil.
2. Cook the green beans in boiling salted water until barely tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, cool and set aside.
3. Pat the livers dry with paper towels, then season on both sides with salt and the garam masala.
4. Heat the butter or oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned livers in one layer and let them brown, about 2 minutes. Turn them over and cook 1 minute more, leaving them pink at the center. Remove from heat.
5. Dress the beans and tomatoes, if using, with half the vinaigrette, and add a little salt and pepper. Dress the greens with the rest of the vinaigrette, and pile them on a platter or individual plates. Top the greens with the beans, the tomatoes, if using, and the warm chicken livers.
Garam masala, a spice blend, is at spice shops and kalustyans.com. One version is made by pulverizing in a coffee mill or spice grinder 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1 teaspoon cloves, a 2-inch stick cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
325 calories; 22 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 10 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 407 milligrams cholesterol; 115 milligrams sodium