Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Easy Turkey and Broccoli Stir Fry (gluten-free)
1 ¼ cups (310 mL) cold water
½ cup (125 mL) low salt, gluten-free soy sauce
¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
1 ½ tsp (7.5 mL) ground ginger
1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp (30 mL) oil for frying
1 ¼ lbs (about 600 g) turkey breast, cut into thin, bite-sized slices
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground black pepper
½ cup (125 mL) onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups (1 L) broccoli florets
½ red pepper, cut into thin slices
If you start cooking some rice before you begin, it will be done cooking at the same time the stir-fry is ready to serve. Since stir-fry only take a few minutes to cook, cut up all your vegetables before you begin to make preparing this dish even easier.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, ground ginger, sesame oil, and pepper flakes. Set aside.
2. Place the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the thinly sliced turkey breast, and season with the ground pepper. Continue cooking and stirring until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the onion and garlic, and continue cooking and stirring until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes, before adding the broccoli florets and red pepper.
4. Cook all the vegetables for another 2-3 minutes before adding the sauce mixture. Once you add the sauce, continue to stir until the sauce has come to a boil and thickened, this may take up to 5 minutes.
5. Serve immediately over hot rice.
NOTE: It is easier to slice the turkey breast thinly if you freeze the breast for 5 minutes before slicing. Be sure to use a sharp knife.
Protein: 25 g
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Recipe by Jeanine Friesen of The Baking Beauties (www.thebakingbeauties.com).