Thursday, September 8, 2016
Chicken With Mushrooms and Wine
Time About 45 minutes
With a little practice and a little added flavor, a humble chicken breast can be anything you want.
Featured in: Simple Chicken Recipes.
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
2. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and swirl it around.
3. Put about .25 cup of flour on a plate. When the butter foam subsides, dredge the chicken in flour, shaking to remove the excess.
4. Add the breasts to the skillet and cook so there is a constant sizzle but no burning.
5. Cook, turning once, until the chicken is browned on both sides and nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
6. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
7. Add 1 pound sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook, undisturbed, until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates completely.
8. With the heat still on medium-high, add .5 cup of any wine to the skillet and let it bubble, stirring, until it is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
9. Add another tablespoon of butter and cook until the sauce is thickened; return the chicken breasts to the skillet, turn them in the sauce and serve.
10. Garnish: Chopped parsley.