Wednesday, September 7, 2016
Cheesy Turkey Macaroni Bake
1 ½ lbs (675 g) ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) paprika
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) cumin
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) chili powder
½ tsp (2.5 mL) dried basil
½ tsp (2.5 mL) dried oregano
½ tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme
6 cups (1.5 L) stock
1 (28oz/796 mL) can diced tomatoes
1 (18oz/532 mL) can plain tomato sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
3 cups (750 mL) cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups (500 mL) packed spinach leaves
1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1. Brown the ground turkey in a large pot over medium-high heat until golden brown; 8-10 minutes.
2. Add in the onion and cook until softened; 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in garlic, spices, and dried herbs and cook for another minute.
4. Pour in the stock, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir, scraping any stuck-on bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Bring to a boil and add the Worchestershire sauce and brown sugar.
6. Turn down to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the macaroni and spinach until just combined.
8. Turn oven to broil. Spoon into individual oven-safe dishes or large casserole dish, and top evenly with cheese.
9. Pop in the oven and broil until cheese is melted and starting to brown; approximately 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Kelly Brisson of The Gouda Life (thegoudalife.ca ).