Friday, September 2, 2016
Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Bites with Cranberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
Cranberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup (125 mL) water
½ cup (125 mL) orange juice
½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp (30mL) honey
2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) barbecue sauce
1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless turkey breast, cut into ¾” (2 cm) cubes
1 lb (454 g) thick-cut smoked bacon
Prepare the Sauce:
1. In a medium sized saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries, water, orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, honey, and chipotle peppers. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until the cranberries have popped and the mixture has thickened.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in the barbecue sauce. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Let cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container.
3Sauce can be prepared up to a week in advance.
Assemble the Turkey Bites: 1In a large zip-top plastic bag, combine the turkey breast pieces and add ½ cup (125 mL) of Cranberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce. Toss to coat the turkey with marinade, then transfer to the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour (or up to overnight).
2. When ready to assemble, preheat the oven to 350oF (175oC) and lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Cut each slice of bacon into thirds. To assemble the bites, wrap a piece of bacon around each turkey cube, and secure with a wooden toothpick. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the centre of a turkey bite registers an internal temperature of 165oF (74oC). Remove from the oven.
5. Switch on the broiler, and pour ¼ cup (60 mL) of Cranberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce into a small bowl. Brush half of the sauce onto the turkey bites, and broil for 4-5 minutes or until the bacon is browned and crisp. Flip the turkey bites over, and brush the tops with the remainder of the sauce. Return to the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes longer or until crisp, making sure to watch carefully to avoid burning.
6. Serve the bites immediately with the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
Protein: 16 g
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g