Pork shoulder becomes fork tender after roasting with a balsamic vinegar-based barbecue sauce in a slow cooker for a few hours. Serve on slider buns with a scoop of coleslaw for a small sandwich that tastes like a summer cookout.
YIELD 20 sliders
PREP TIME 40 mins
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
20 sliders buns or small round dinner rolls, split and toasted
Purchased deli coleslaw
Sweet or dill pickles, coarsely chopped
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In the cooker combine onion and sweet pepper. Add meat; sprinkle with thyme and rosemary. Pour broth over meat.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
3. Meanwhile, for barbecue sauce, in a medium saucepan combine vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. Transfer meat to a cutting board. Use two forks to pull meat apart into shreds, discarding any fat. Strain vegetable mixture, discarding liquid. Return shredded meat and vegetables to cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce. Cover and cook for 1 hour on low-heat setting.
5. To serve, spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms. Top with coleslaw and pickles. Cover with bun tops.
Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 320, Fat, total (g) 14, chol. (mg) 44, sat. fat (g) 4, carb. (g) 34, Monosaturated fat (g) 6, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 15, pro. (g) 13, vit. A (IU) 242.95, vit. C (mg) 16.53, Thiamin (mg) 0.58, Riboflavin (mg) 0.29, Niacin (mg) 4.15, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0.33, Folate (µg) 44.35, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0.43, sodium (mg) 487, Potassium (mg) 342, calcium (mg) 80.77, iron (mg) 2.16, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet