Karen Cope of Minneapolis won a blue ribbon at the Minnesota State Fair for this stunning chocolate-and-marshmallow cake, based on whoopie pie cookies.
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour [280 g]
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup buttermilk powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar [550 g]
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
1 cup water
Marshmallow Filling (recipe follows)
Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (2 ounces) [56 g]
1 7 ounce jar marshmallow crème [196 g]
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar [450 g]
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
1. Allow the 1 1/2 cups butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, stir the 1 tablespoon melted butter and the 1 tablespoon cocoa powder together to form paste. Brush inside of a 10-inch fluted tube pan with cocoa paste; set pan aside.
2. For cake: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 1 1/4 cups cocoa, buttermilk powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add brown sugar, beating about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and coffee crystals. Add eggs, one a time, beating 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently. Add one-third of the cocoa mixture and 1/2 cup of the water, beating on low speed just until well combined. Repeat with another one-third of the cocoa mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of the water, beating on low speed just until well combined. Add the remaining one-third of the cocoa mixture, beating about 30 seconds or until smooth. Spread batter in the prepared pan.
3. Bake in a 325 degrees F oven about 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool thoroughly on wire rack.
4. Split cake in half horizontally. Set cake top aside. Spread Marshmallow Filling on the bottom half of cake. Place cake top on Marshmallow Filling. Drizzle the Chocolate Glaze over the top of cake. Using a long serrated knife, slice cake into wedges.
1. In a small saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat. Add semisweet chocolate pieces. Heat and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Makes about 1/3 cup.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add marshmallow creme, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
Per Serving: cal. (kcal) 586, Fat, total (g) 32, chol. (mg) 134, sat. fat (g) 19, carb. (g) 74, Monosaturated fat (g) 9, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 1, fiber (g) 3, sugar (g) 53, pro. (g) 6, vit. A (IU) 923.21, vit. C (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0.13, Riboflavin (mg) 0.19, Niacin (mg) 1.18, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0.06, Folate (µg) 40.32, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0.18, sodium (mg) 498, Potassium (mg) 214, calcium (mg) 100.97, iron (mg) 2.34, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet