Tuesday, December 1, 2015
Tandoori Turkey Thighs with Mushroom & Zucchini Skewers
1½ cups (375 mL) plain yogurt
1/2 onion minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro
2 lemons, zest and juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
½ tsp (2 mL) turmeric
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cardamom
6 turkey thighs, bone-in, skin removed
1 medium zucchini
½ lb (225 g) button mushrooms
1 pint (550 mL) cherry tomatoes
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, plus more for brushing meat before grilling
Salt and pepper
Directions 1. Mix the yogurt, onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice and zest with all of the spices and salt. Reserve 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the tandoori (yogurt) mixture and pour the rest over the turkey thighs in a large bowl or freezer bag. Make sure the thighs are coated in the marinade. Let them marinade in the fridge for 2-4 hours (or longer).
2. Keep the reserved tandoori marinade in the fridge as well. This is for brushing on the mushroom and vegetables skewers.
3. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the turkey marinades.
4. When ready to cook the turkey, start the grill so that it gets quite hot.
5. Cut the zucchini in 1/2" (1 cm) discs and then cut those in half to get half moon pieces.
6. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
7. Skewer the mushrooms and vegetables in an alternating pattern. Place the skewers on a tray and brush the tandoori mixture on the vegetables lightly.
8. Brush the marinated turkey with some olive oil and place them on the grill bone-side up.
9. Turn the heat down to a medium low. Cook on one side for 10 minutes.
10. Turn them over and cook for another 15-20 minutes with the lid closed.
11. They are done when a meat thermometer inserted into a meaty part of the thigh reaches 165°F (74°C).
12. Take them off the grill and let them rest on a serving platter under aluminum foil.
13. When the turkey thighs are done, put the mushroom and vegetable skewers on the grill. Turn them two or three times so that all sides of the vegetables and mushrooms get some grill marks on them.
14. Grill the skewers for 10-12 minutes over a medium heat. Serve the turkey thighs and skewers over rice or with a side sala
Nutritional Information Per serving
Protein: 80 g
Fat: 29 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Recipe by Christina Austin of Buffy & George (www.buffyandgeorge.com ).